Saturday, February 25, 2017

Crockpot Jambalaya

I made this for the second time tonight and it was just as good as the first time. Spicy and flavorful, and the whole family loved it! Last time I kept some in the freezer (in individual Tupperware containers) and pulled them out when we were out of ideas for lunch. They tasted even better over time! This round I think we will eat it too fast to freeze. I made this specifically because we are fighting colds and the spice just seemed logical, it really opens up the sinuses!

Borrowed from: http://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slow-cooker-jambalaya/ (found on Pinterest)


  • 1 package andouille sausage (they don't have this at my store, I just used Hillshire brand turkey sausage)
  • ½ pound uncooked shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
  • 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to even thickness (I didn't pound it...oh well)
  • 3 bell peppers (one each of green, red, and yellow or orange), diced
  • 1 white or yellow onion, diced
  • 2-3 jalapeños, seeds and stems removed (I used 1 jalapeño and 1 other of some other pepper I picked out...it was hot, that's all I knew! I also kept the seeds for extra spice)
  • 1½ cups uncooked white rice (I used 2 cups instant)
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 30-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I chopped up 2 cloves fresh garlic)
  • 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper, or to taste
  • cilantro or parsley, for topping (optional) (I didn't use this)


  1. Slice sausage into sections (about ¼ inch thick slices). Remove tails from shrimp if they are still on. Chop chicken into 1-inch pieces.
  2. Add sausage, chicken, bell peppers, jalapeños, chicken broth, tomatoes, minced garlic, cajun seasoning, and salt and pepper to greased slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on low. Stir in rice and cook another 1-2 hours until rice is fully cooked and tender*
  3. About 20 minutes before serving, uncover slow cooker, stir in shrimp, re-cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes.* Stir contents of slow cooker, sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley if desired, and serve hot.
* because I used instant rice, I added the rice and shrimp at the same time (after 3 hours) and cooked on low for 30 minutes, which turned out perfect



No comments:

Post a Comment