Sunday, August 7, 2016

Stuffed Zucchini Boats

In the last post for Zucchini Parmesan, I mentioned how I wanted to find more uses for zucchini. I found this recipe and, OMG, soooooo good! At first, I was just going to make it easy on myself and just buy marinara sauce but I decided to try out theirs and I'm so glad I did! It was very easy, especially since I had all the spices on hand, and tasted amazing. I even used the leftovers later!


4 large zucchini (makes 8 boats)
1 lb lean ground beef 
1 lb ground sausage
2 tsp crushed garlic (I just minced by hand)
2  cups grated Mozzarella cheese (I just used shredded from a bag)
1/2  cup Parmesan cheese (calls for grated from the can, but I used shredded that I get at Trader Joes)
2 tbsp coconut flour (use this for sure because it helps to soak up the moisture from the zucchini)

Easy Marinara Sauce:
14 oz canned, finely diced tomatoes, OR fresh, chopped tomatoes 
1 tsp salt
1/2  tsp dried basil 
1/2  tsp dried oregano 
1/2  tsp dried thyme 
1/4  tsp black pepper 

Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp.  Chop pulp finely and set aside.

Marinara Sauce:  In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, thyme and pepper. 

Boats: In large frying pan, over medium heat, cook ground beef, sausage meat and garlic until browned and cooked through.  Pour off fat, if necessary. Stir in 1/2  cup Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese, plus 1 cup of the reserved zucchini pulp and coconut flour.  Now stir in the Marinara Sauce. Use the remainder of the pulp in a veggie stir-fry, if desired.  Stuff the zucchinis and place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake 40 minutes.  Cover with 1 cup Mozzarella cheese.  Bake another 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and zucchini are getting quite soft.  Cover with the remaining 1/2  cup Mozzarella cheese and bake another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchinis are completely soft to the tip of a sharp paring knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment